Occupational Health Specialist
The Occupational Health Specialist will provide services to include work place health and safety related matters, intake of claims for Workers Compensation, treatment referral, course of treatment and claims monitoring to ensure that cost effective care is being provided. Promote a safe and healthy working environment to achieve a positive impact on work quality, productivity and cost effectiveness via job evaluation and post incident analysis. Assist departments in compliance with OSHA mandated IIPP (Injury and Illness Prevention Program) by providing department specific training, assisting in analysis of jobs, evaluating incidents to minimize risk to TM property wide (PDC, PRC, PGC, RV Park, Gas Station). Complete annual OSHA required reports. Adhere to the “Pechanga Gaming Facility Worker Compensation Act of 2007” and any subsequent revisions thereto. Analyze individual incidents and trends to make recommendations to prevent future accidents and promote a safe workplace. Provide monthly screenings to target health risk factors in our Team Member population in an effort to improve general health thereby decreasing health care costs and Team Member absenteeism. Evaluation and recommendation of Team Member complaints in an effort to manage symptoms, and determine action (first aid vs. claim filing and work injury vs. non work injury). Utilize medical expertise in educating Team Member’s with questions about their personal medical condition to assist them in better advocating for their own health care. Management and education for repetitive motion injuries to minimize injury cost. Collaborate with all departments and entities on the property relating to physical demands and job functions, safety and Team Member medical/mental health issues that affect performance (fit for duty, work restrictions and medical clarification).
FOUR DIAMOND SERVICE AGREEMENT
All Team Members will display a Four Diamond commitment to Guest Service through the delivery and maintenance of the Quality Standards established by Pechanga Resort Casino (PRC).
• Facilitate and monitor the medical management, claim handling and modified duty for work injuries while maintaining Team Member confidentiality.
• Communicate regularly with the insurance carrier to coordinate all aspects of the program for Risk Management.
• Monitor the course of treatment to ensure that all treatments and proposed treatments and or procedures are medically necessary and conform to Standard of Care protocols and the “Pechanga Gaming Facility Worker Compensation Act of 2007” and any subsequent revisions thereto.
• Provide health education for all injured workers related to the physicians’ treatment plan.
• Evaluate injured workers, provide first aid/health education and refer for medical treatment if indicated.
• Identify high risk activities, safety concerns and provide education regarding safety and prevention to departments related to risk factors in accordance with PRC IIPP.
• Provide job task focused safety training to departments.
• Conduct work space ergonomic evaluations and make recommendations related to high risk activities to minimize risk to Team Members.
• Coordinate with multiple departments any recommendations related to work space enhancements/equipment needs to minimize risk to Team Members.
• Collaborate with HR regarding common issues of hiring, personal medical or mental health concerns that affect Team Member and their families.
• Provide community resource information related to medical/mental health services for Team Member and their families.
• Review and investigate reports of injuries to Team Members which may or may not result in worker’s compensation claims.
• Compile statistical data related to incidents and injuries monthly for presentation to Safety Committee.
• Perform OSHA compliance activities and recordkeeping.
• Monitor, maintain and coordinate the timely filing of reports, memos, HR and payroll documentation forms.
• Conduct worksite health promotion programs monthly and maintain data relating to participation findings.
• Assist departments in the evaluation of Team Members with personal medical situations that impact their employment (fit for duty, alternate work, return to work with restrictions)
• Provide confidential personal health consultations at the request of a Team Member to assist the Team Member in seeking medical attention.
• Coordinate shoe safety program for PRC.
• Coordinate blood and bone marrow drives for PRC.
• Research and inform management of public health concerns that may have a direct affect on PRC.
• Other duties as assigned
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Occupational Health Specialist has supervisory responsibilities including Team Member relation issues, forecasting and budgeting.
QUALIFICATIONS AND GUIDELINES
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/TRAINING: A Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; RN, PHN, PA, Nurse Practitioner or LVN certification with at least five years’ experience in Occupational Health.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: This position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. This position also requires the ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from guests, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Furthermore, this position also requires the ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. This position also requires the ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: This position requires the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. This position also requires the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY: This position requires the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. This position also requires the ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• RN, PHN, PA, or Nurse Practitioner
• Ergonomic Evaluation Certification
• Certified Case Manager (CCM)
THIS IS NOT A CLINICAL SETTING. NO PATIENT MEDICAL TREATMENT IS PROVIDED.
• Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
• Independent assessment and decision making skills.
• Experience in Workers Compensation and Short Term Disability.
• Case Management experience.
• Rehabilitation, ergonomic, job analysis experience.
• Health education experience.
• Public speaking.
• Training experience.
• Communication skills that allow working in a collaborative manner with multiple departments.
• Ability to work with minimal direction.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Consistent with federal law, it is the policy of the Pechanga Band to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified Pechanga tribal members, Pechanga tribal member spouses, and non-member American Indians.