Public Relations Strategist
Serving as the lead for Public and Media Relations, the candidate consistently seeks to enhance Pechanga Resort Casino’s favorable public image most often via media and online, while also protecting the brand and company’s reputation. Increase brand and message awareness for all divisions of Pechanga Resort Casino and its related subsidiaries among media and guest audiences. The candidate is a natural storyteller, writer and all around communicator who gets to the heart of a matter, yet also possesses extreme discretion in all areas due to the sensitive nature of the flow of information. The candidate crafts carefully targeted messaging to communicate programs, company accomplishments, points of view, corporate standings and more. Will develop and nurture strong relationships with the press and influencers in all public channels to further Pechanga’s business objectives in the public sphere. Directs publicity programs and campaigns, researches and writes press releases, speeches and talking points for leadership, fields questions from and develops responses for the media, prepares press kits, organizes and orchestrates press events, sets strategy, writes and delivers pitches for campaigns and stories as assessed to support campaigns, investigates and writes story bylines, develops media lists, monitors and tracks media coverage, as well as provides analysis.
The candidate will be tasked with handling multiple in-house clients simultaneously, as well as provide research and editorial support as assigned which may also include materials for advertising, sales and other departments.
Will be responsible for crisis and emergency communications and expected to work in concert with the larger Communications Team. Will act as company spokesperson when called upon.
Candidate will assess public relations needs, research new methods of disseminating information for the greatest effect. The individual will remain actively abreast on happenings throughout the resort/casino, plan and execute campaigns for maximum return. Must liaise with all other departments and department heads to extract necessary information for use within the role. Must also act as a support to the other Communications roles, including but not limited to Internal Communications and Social Media. Candidate will be practiced in consumer and B2B PR. Candidate must have commanding knowledge of social media, and may be required to assist on social accounts. Must be curious, tenacious at finding answers, able to work autonomously and as part of a team, and have superior use of the English language. Maintains and tracks entire PR budget for PRC. Reports directly to and works together with the Director of Communications.
FOUR DIAMOND SERVICE AGREEMENT
All Team Members will display a Four Diamond commitment to Customer Service through the delivery and maintenance of the Quality Standards established by Pechanga Resort and Casino.
• Manage earned and owned media communications around publicity campaigns, activations, community initiatives, press events, partnerships and other consumer facing projects focusing on raising awareness of Pechanga Resort Casino’s destination status as a top casino/resort property.
• Develop and orchestrate media attention catching campaigns that enhance Pechanga’s core values and important initiatives, as well as celebrate Pechanga as an involved community partner.
• Craft press ideas able to be turned into multi-tier and multi-use media campaigns. Ideas should also mesh and be applicable across other channels such as Social Media, Internal Communications and advertising
• Draft and distribute most external press pieces including but not limited to press releases, news statements, copy, newsletters, media kits, photo and video libraries, blog, website content, and other related writing assignments.
• Work with executives and C-suite leadership on media relations strategies necessary and compelling for their areas. Take those ideas and mold them into newsworthy narratives that follow the SMART methodology.
• Able to provide advice and counsel on communications issues, as well as provide media coaching (for any medium) to prospective interview subjects
• Research, enterprise and execute public and media relations campaigns across all existing media forms including but not limited to print, blog, newsletter, website, radio, television, and social media influencers
• Collaborate with external agencies and partners to develop media campaigns and strategies for Asian language audiences
• Work in concert with Social Media & Internal Communications areas to ensure cross functional nature of campaigns, as well as timely release and similar tone of campaigns
• Work in concert with Strategic Alliance Partnership Manager to be able to capitalize on and optimize press opportunities that come about from sports team and venue sponsorships
• Collaborates with managers and stakeholders across the company to identify trends and evaluate PR efforts and future plans.
• Protects the company’s reputation by maintaining discretion at all times
• Analyzes the organization’s objectives, promotional policies, and needs to build public relations strategies that influence public opinion and keeps track of competitor media placements, share of voice and more
• Perform all other related duties as assigned
ACCOUNTABILITY: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND GUIDELINES
EXPERIENCE/TRAINING/EDUCATION: At least 5 years experience is required/ 7 years preferred to successfully perform this job. 3-5 years’ experience in a public relations or corporate communications role within hospitality/tourism/casino or lifestyle/entertainment PR preferred. BA/BS required. Emphasis in Communications, Public Relations, English or Journalism preferred. Spanish speakers encouraged to apply.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must be able to obtain a Class “A” gaming license. Must have and maintain a valid driver license.
• Strong understanding of all areas of media including social media
• Passion for developing and telling stories, and getting other people to tell those stories
• Familiarity with digital advertising, SEO and SEM
• Knowledge of emerging public relations technologies
• At least intermediate photography, video, photo and video editing skillset
• Microsoft Office proficiency
• Ability to quickly move and pivot communications styles and projects
• Must know how to use Cision, MuckRack or other research and media tracking software.
• On camera, public speaking abilities and presence – interview reel preferable
• Experience as the lead on multiple accounts or in-house PR department
• Commanding knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Excellent internal client management and interpersonal relationship skills
• Ability to work collaboratively as well as autonomously
• Proven, meaningful campaign results
• Existing key media relationships and the tenacity to make and maintain new ones
• Keen understanding of media’s varying needs and ability to fulfill them in timely manner
• Ability to seek out story ideas, follow through with development, pitching and results analysis
• Experience on a team that communicates through paid and non-paid messaging
• Ability to be a supportive team player
• Must be a naturally curious individual who is not afraid to find out information how to position that information to the media and the public
• Must be comfortable and have deep knowledge of various forms of media dissemination and how each operates
• Must be a self-starter able to navigate the unknown, find answers, figure out what to do with them and work within a very fast-paced environment