IT Database Administrator
The Information Technology (IT) Database Administrator (DBA) manages and maintains all production and test databases. Position is responsible for all stages of production, database maintenance activities, troubleshooting database-related issues, monitoring database alerts, capacity and performance, database design and configurations, database security and database backups and recovery. A DBA shall collaborate with vendors, support staff, developers and other business units to ensure database uptime, data availability, data security and data integrity.
FOUR DIAMOND SERVICE AGREEMENT
All Team Members will display a Four Diamond commitment to Customer Service through the delivery and maintenance of the Quality Standards established by Pechanga Resort Casino.
• Installation and upgrades of Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle Databases
• Configuration of database resources (storage and compute), features, tools and logs
• Implement, monitor and maintain all PRC databases (including production, test and development)
• Work with third party vendors and in-house development to QA all changes or upgrades in a test environment prior to applying to production
• Work with third party vendors to install, upgrade and maintain application databases
• Work with Pechanga in-house developers to install, upgrade and maintain custom databases
• Work to maintain or improve database performance and efficiency
• Reviews and approves database structure or schema change requests
• Reviews and approves all scripts executed or jobs scheduled
• Database user management and permissions
• Reviews and approves all access to databases by users and vendors
• Perform database storage capacity planning
• Perform database compute performance planning
• Troubleshooting database related issues such as HA, Always On, clustering, blocking, deadlocks, linked servers, queries, jobs, access violations, hangs and run-time error scenarios
• Maintain data management (archiving, indexing, fragmentation, retention)
• Monitor and take necessary action for database alerts, jobs and scheduled tasks
• Generate various reports by querying a database
• Managing and monitoring data replication
• Documents, recommends, implements, and approves proposed changes and enhancements to the database environment
• Documents databases and the environment
• Researches, evaluate and test proposed products, product versions and systems solutions
• Develops quality standards based on industry standards, best practices and evaluates available technology and resources
• Manages projects involving responsibility for establishing objectives, activities, and timelines then completing the work in accordance with established project plan for all database projects
• Reviews and maintains change documentation for databases
• Root Cause Analysis, Preventative action follow-through, and participation in post mortems
• Performs database security audits
• Performs database disaster recovery tests
• Responsible for maintaining all enterprise backups of all production databases
• License management
• Works closely with vendors, IT project managers, support, security, developers, network and system administrators
• Attends all departmental, managers and company meetings
• Keeps Management updated on projects
• Performs other work related duties as assigned
ACCOUNTABILITY: This position has no supervisory responsibilities. Incumbent is responsible for protecting the assets of Pechanga Resort and Casino and for maintaining and providing a positive and professional work environment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND GUIDELINES
EXPERIENCE/TRAINING/EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Minimum of five (5) years or more of relevant work experience is required. Experience with relational and conventional database technology, Microsoft SQL database administration required. Hands on experience with enterprise database technology in a Windows environment administering and working with T-SQL, creating stored procedures, high availability, replication, index tuning, performance tuning and testing required. Experience with database backup and restoration including disaster recovery, troubleshooting enterprise mission critical high available databases, Active Directory, networking, IT security, VMWare virtual environments, SAN storage, documenting and change control process are required. Working experience with Oracle databases and casino and/or hotel operations experience preferred. Equivalent combination of work experience and education may be submitted in lieu of minimum requirements.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS This position requires very good interpersonal skills, critical thinking, written and oral communication, and strong technical documentation skills. In addition, you must be able to analyze and interpret common scientific, technical and industry journals and documents. As the database administrator, you must respond to common inquires and complaints from customers, management, regulatory agencies, and members of the business community within a reasonable period. Moreover, the database administrator must effectively be able present information to management, public groups, boards of directors and conferences when required.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS This position requires the ability to calculate figures, index sizes, table sizes, proportions, percentages, capacity planning, increases/decreases-percentage change, etc. The position also requires the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY This position requires the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. This position also requires the ability to accurately interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Class “A” gaming license
• Microsoft SQL and Oracle database certifications a plus
• In-depth knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server
• Familiar with Oracle Databases
• Strong knowledge of Windows Server operating systems
• Strong in SQL commands, ability to write SQL queries, understanding of views, stored procedures, triggers and query optimization as well as execution plan.
• Strong knowledge in HA/Failover/Replication technologies (including Always On)
• Knowledge of best practices in Performance Tuning and Optimization
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with little to no supervision
• Ability to adapt to a constantly changing environment
• Capacity to implement operational automation using scripts
• Good communication and documentation skills
• Strong focus on closing out assigned work
• Familiar with enterprise storage including SAN and NAS
• Familiar with Big Data and Data Lakes
• General understanding of networking
• Must be able to take direction and follow through with assigned tasks
• Must be a self-starter who is highly motivated and resourceful
• Must be able to work with a positive attitude in a fast paced and culturally diverse casino environment
• Ability to work under stressful situations
• Must be flexible and willing to work nights, weekends and holidays
• Long periods of sitting and typing required
• Some travel for seminars or training is expected
• Must be comfortable working in a 24/7/365 environment
• Position requires 24x7 rotational on-call support
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Consistent with federal law, it is the policy of the Pechanga Band to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified Pechanga tribal members, Pechanga tribal member spouses, and non-member American Indians.