Steak House Sous Chef
The Steak House Sous Chef is responsible for supervise and monitor the daily operations of the Culinary Department/area, in accordance with Pechanga Resort Casino (PRC) regulations. Ensure the timely completion of all projects related tasks, in accordance with established procedures. Participate in the development and implementation of the department’s staffing/scheduling plan. Provide direction to subordinates on improving job performance and contributes feedback to the Team Member performance review.
FOUR DIAMOND SERVICE AGREEMENT
All Team Members will display a Four Diamond commitment to Customer Service through the delivery and maintenance of the Quality Standards established by Pechanga Resort Casino.
• Ensure all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
• Provide daily work station assignments to kitchen line team members.
• Evaluate the requirements for and the cost of labor.
• Provide orientation and departmental rules, policies and procedures, as well as oversee training of new kitchen team members.
• Prepare all required paperwork, including forms and reports in an organized and timely manner.
• Ensure all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following preventative maintenance programs.
• Oversee and ensures that team member’s performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
• Ensure all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications. Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
• Must maintain a high level of confidentiality and integrity at all times when handling team member’s information maintained in departmental files/systems. Protect the assets of the organization.
• Assist the Chef in overseeing the operational aspects of the kitchen division in meeting set standards.
• Ability to work all areas stations.
• Assist in the planning, preparing and serving of all food items and menus. Trains kitchen staff on the execution of said items.
• Check all walk in coolers and freezers daily to insure proper rotation, storage and usage of all food items.
• Maintains a high level of safety and sanitation.
• Other duties as assigned.
This position is responsible for managing the work of the assigned team members. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS AND GUIDELINES
EXPERIENCE/TRAINING/EDUCATION: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required; and at least 5 years of experience is preferred to successfully perform this job.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• Excel, Word, Stratton Warren, Kronos
• Firm understanding and practical application of Health and Safety standards.
• Knowledge of all aspects of kitchen and culinary operations.
• Possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Must be able to work in a smoking environment.
• Must be able to work any day of the week and scheduled shift.
• Possess fluent English speaking, writing and comprehension skills.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Ability to obtain and maintain a class “A” gaming license from the Pechanga Gaming Commission
• Must complete Pechanga’s Food Handler Certification course
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Consistent with federal law, it is the policy of the Pechanga Band to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified Pechanga tribal members, Pechanga tribal member spouses, and non-member American Indians.