Supervise Stewards in the performance of their daily duties. Ensure that all dish and glass washing machines are in operating order with the necessary chemicals, detergents and additives. Assign employees to different areas of operation when necessary. Ensure employee compliance to all rules, regulations and procedures. Assign work stations and monitor progress of employees. Ensure that all kitchens are being maintained according to Pechanga Health regulations. Maintain all kitchen equipment through regular cleaning and degreasing. Train staff in all areas as they pertain to Steward job description
FOUR DIAMOND SERVICE AGREEMENT
All Team Members will display a Four Diamond commitment to Customer Service through the delivery and maintenance of the Quality Standards established by Pechanga Resort and Casino.
• Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas
• Set up and organize work station with designated supplies and equipment; report shortages to supervisor. Replenish as needed throughout the shift
• Check the working condition of dishwashing machine in accordance with specifications; rectify any deficiencies.
• Breaks down and cleans ovens, broilers, grills, salamanders, hoods, deep fryers, slow cookers, steamers, combination ovens, ranges, refrigeration, freezers, prep stations, sinks, ware washing machines, garbage disposals, trash dump areas and all other kitchen equipment
• Breakdown, feed, catch, and properly sort all dishes and flatware as it is brought to the dish area
• Assist in training new employees Work steadily and accurately, paying attention to detail In accordance with the Health Department codes and Departmental Policies, must consistently be in compliance
• Ensures that both front and back of the house employees have the necessary items and utensils needed to operate the kitchens and dining areas
• Makes routine inspections of all equipment and kitchen areas to ensure that cleanliness and sanitary procedures are maintained. Makes routine inspections of all equipment ensuring that all equipment is in proper mechanical working order
• Approves requisitions related to all cleaning supplies and equipment and monitors supply requisitions to ensure costs are kept to a minimum without losing quality and usage of materials
• Transport soiled wares from Banquet service area to dishwashing station and assist Dishwasher in breaking down all trays/carts.
• Maintains the inventory and record keeping for all dinnerware, flatware and glassware. Orders all china, glass and silver.
• Practices and observes safety rules and regulations and encourages others to do the same
• Handles staff complaints with the intent of resolving situations to the satisfaction of all parties. Communicates pertinent information on “need to know” basis to persons within the department
• Creates a work environment that promotes teamwork, recognition, mutual respect and employee satisfaction
• Performs other job related duties as assigned
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Lead Steward has supervisory responsibilities including departmental corrective action and team member relation issues.
QUALIFICATIONS AND GUIDELINES
EXPERIENCE/TRAINING/EDUCATION: A High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and two years experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred to successfully perform this job.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: This position requires the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. This position also requires the ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Furthermore, this position also requires the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: This position requires the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. This position also requires the ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
REASONING ABILITY: This position requires the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. This position also requires the ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must be able to complete Pechanga’s Food Handler Certification course
• Must be able to obtain a gaming license
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Knowledge of Kitchen Cleaning Chemicals
• Knowledge of heavy kitchen equipment and functions of machinery such as mixers, dishmachines, ovens, stove top burners, burnishers, and exhaust hood system
• Minimum two (2) years previous experience in a supervisory capacity
• Working knowledge of all Kitchen Steward functions and of all cleaning materials and equipment used in a kitchen.
• Individual must have excellent organizational skills to be able to function under time constraints, and deadlines with attention to detail
• Must have effective listening abilities and be able to make strong judgment calls
• Ability to access all area of the facility. Withstand various activities such as prolonged walking, standing, and frequent bending, kneeling, and stooping.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt