It is the primary responsibility of the Sommelier to oversee all wine service and menus for the entire Food and Beverage Division. The Sommelier will also oversee staff training, wine list maintenance and wine inventory. All duties are to be performed in accordance with departmental and property policies, practices, and procedures. The Sommelier is expected to work peak periods including but not limited to weekends and holidays to provide leadership to the property wine program. The Sommelier directly performs hands-on work on an ongoing basis to train Team Members, respond to guest service needs, or otherwise exemplifies role model appropriate behavior in the restaurants.
FOUR DIAMOND SERVICE AGREEMENT
All Team Members will display a Four Diamond commitment to Guest Service through the delivery and maintenance of the Quality Standards established by Pechanga Resort Casino (PRC).
• Maintains proper inventory levels of wines, other beverages, and supplies. Ensures proper service as outlined in the outlet’s Standard Operating Procedures and Service Guarantees manuals.
• Tastes and evaluates wines and other beverages for potential purchase. Maintains appropriate beverage cost by managing purchasing and requisitions. Maintains clean, error-free wine lists by constantly updating and reprinting.
• Directs and engages in wine service during restaurant service hours. Table touching throughout the restaurant and during the entire shift as much as possible to ensure guests satisfaction and gather any feedback. Must be on the floor monitoring the restaurant operation and guest satisfaction during hours of operations.
• Manages Micros pricing/maintenance issues to ensure checks can be processed correctly.
• Meets regularly with the Food and Beverage Directors to actively seek quality wines for the restaurant wine program. Effectively communicates with management, chefs, and culinary staff in order to fulfill and address any issues or needs requested by guests and or other Team Members.
• Anticipates the guest’s needs and respond appropriately with a sense of urgency. Assists all guests and Team Members with inquiries and needs. Communicates key wine information to guests and staff.
• Trains Team Members on wine and beverage service and knowledge, on applicable regulations, policies, and procedures to enhance revenue and operation. Monitors actions of Team Members and guests to ensure that health and safety standards and liquor regulations are obeyed. Controls day-to-day training schedules. Enforces proper beverage service standards of all Team Members during service. Eliminates waste by supervising Team Members on pour levels, proper storage, etc.
• May coordinate and staff for any VIP or private functions in conjunction with other F&B events.
• Other duties as assigned.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Sommelier has supervisory responsibilities including departmental corrective action and Team Member relation issues. Develops training, testing, and accountability for Team Members, as well as, being responsible for the daily, front of the house wine service and wine list. This position is also responsible for inventory control, wine sales, and wine cost. Incumbent is responsible for protecting the assets of Pechanga Resort Casino and for maintaining and providing a positive and professional work environment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND GUIDELINES
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/TRAINING: A Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; and two years related experience in a fine dining restaurant or equivalent combination of education and experience is required to successfully perform this job. This position also requires an extensive knowledge of wines.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: This position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. This position also requires the ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from guests or members of the business community.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: This position requires the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. This position also requires the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
REASONING ABILITY: This position requires the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. This position also requires the ability to resolve problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must qualify to obtain and maintain a class “A” gaming license.
• Court of Masters Sommeliers level 2 or similar.
• Responsible beverage service certificate upon hire.
• Food handlers upon hire.
• Must have an extensive knowledge of wine varietals, brands, and other viticulture information necessary to provided guests and staff with information to enhance the PRC experience.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Kronos, Micros, Stratton Warren, or similar system to each.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by Team Members within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of Team Members assigned to this job.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Consistent with federal law, it is the policy of the Pechanga Band to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified Pechanga tribal members, Pechanga tribal member spouses, and non-member American Indians.