The buyer acts under the authority of the Purchasing Manager. Purchase a variety of items which require technical analysis and discretion, through either informal purchasing methods or formally negotiated contract techniques; performs related work as required.
FOUR DIAMOND SERVICE AGREEMENT
All Team Members will display a Four Diamond commitment to Customer Service through the delivery and maintenance of the Quality Standards established by Pechanga Resort Casino.
• Researches products, prepares purchase orders and places orders with selected vendors
• All requisitions not requiring bids must be completed within 2-3 working days; requisitions with items for bid, within 5-7 working days
• Solicits bids on items from sources of supply in order to determine a reasonable price, acceptable pack size, available discounts, and transportation or handling charges
• Facilitates product cuttings, sampling or onsite vendor visits to help assess proposals from vendors to negotiate contracts
• Ability to deal skilfully and tactfully with suppliers, to ensure adequate and timely response to operational purchasing needs
• Performs other job related duties as assigned
ACCOUNTABILITY: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities. Position is responsible for protecting the assets of Pechanga Resort Casino and for maintaining and providing a positive and professional work environment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND GUIDELINES
EXPERIENCE/TRAINING/EDUCATION: High School Diploma, GED or other equivalent education required. Minimum of 3 years’ experience in high volume procurement is required; 5 years preferred to successfully perform this job. AA Degree is preferred. A combination of relevant work experience and education may be accepted in lieu of above requirements. Familiarity with various resources to source products for purchase is required. Procurement experience in gaming, hospitality, food and beverage preferred. Previous work experience with the Stratton Warren purchasing system is preferred. Knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures including open market purchasing and formal contracting and negotiating techniques is required
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: The position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. The position also requires the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. The ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public is required as well. Works and communicates with internal and external customers to meet their needs in a polite, courteous, professional and cooperative manner. Must be committed to quality customer service. Excellent organizational skills, strong ability to communicate clearly in both written and verbal form. Ability to communicate effectively with suppliers regarding product specifications
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: This position requires the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages. The position also requires the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
REASONING ABILITY: The position requires the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The position also requires the ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Class “A” gaming license.
• Knowledge of purchasing policies and procedures
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Must be able to interface with PRC staff of all levels
• Able to work in a fast paced environment and perform multiple tasks
• Must be able to meet deadlines, inclusive of working longer hours when required; flexible and willing to work nights, weekends and holidays when required
• Must have ability to maintain total confidentiality; ability to keep vendor pricing, operational, inventory, credit terms, past purchases, vendor information and financial data confidential; confidentiality required about information gathered; access to sensitive assets and areas
• Must be a self-starter who is highly motivated and resourceful
• Must be able to work with a positive attitude in a fast paced and culturally diverse casino environment
• Must be able to take direction and follow through with assigned tasks
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Consistent with federal law, it is the policy of the Pechanga Band to give preference in hiring, promotions, and transfers into vacant positions to qualified Pechanga tribal members, Pechanga tribal member spouses, and non-member American Indians.