Headquartered in Orange County, CA, Evolution Hospitality is one of the top privately-owned hotel management companies in the US. Evolution Hospitality has a well-defined vision, a strong sense of values and guiding principles, and a long-range, quality-minded approach to business. From unassuming beginnings with a single property, today Evolution Hospitality is recognized as a first-class operator of hotels.
We are proud to offer candidates a dynamic career, personal growth, a strong tradition of mutual trust, integrity and an opportunity to make an impact on the business. Simply put, it means that it feels a bit different to work here. We are universally driven by our fundamental values and beliefs. At Evolution Hospitality, all associates are selected and evaluated on two criteria equally: results and culture. Honesty and humility are equally important as intellect and ability, and each member of the team embraces the challenge of becoming a better human being, both personally and professionally, as part of the package. Superstars are those individuals that not only create value for the company but also genuinely embrace and live Evolution Hospitality’s unique culture.
Are you ready to evolve? If you are interested in establishing a solid career and taking giant strides in personal growth, Evolution Hospitality is just the family you’re looking for.
The Opportunity – Job Summary
The Hard Rock Hotel located in the Gaslamp District of San Diego is known for breaking all the rules and being anything but plain vanilla. As authentic, passionate and irreverent as rock itself, the Hard Rock features an undeniably sophisticated style and cutting-edge technology combined with Four Diamond services and amenities.
The Hard Rock Hotel is looking for a talented Director of Finance to join the leadership team. The Director of Finance is the key financial business leader for our four diamond hotel, MaryJane’s restaurant, the nightlife venues, and the condo owners of all 420 rooms.
The Director of Finance is responsible for all activities related to budgeting, forecasting, profit and loss reporting, and account reconciliation for operating and balance sheet accounts for our multi-property, condo-hotel location. This role directly oversees all accounting activities related to income auditing, cashiering, accounts payable processing, accounts receivable collection, tax compliance, payroll, month end processing, and condo-owner accounting. Ensuring financial controls, accurate reporting and profitability is a big job and not for the faint of heart, but you won’t be alone. There’s an entire crew of passionate Hard Rock professionals ready, willing and able to support you. This position is a high-profile Executive Committee position.
Manage Processes and Controls
• Verifies the accuracy and timeliness of all finance functions: daily and month end reporting, payroll processing, income audit, accounts payable, accounts receivable, condo-owner accounting, and cash and credit card management
• Completes comprehensive month end close for three business entities to include preparing journal entries and accruals, completing cost of sales entries, reconciling balance sheet accounts, ensuring proper tax reporting and analyzing profit performance
Develop and Achieve Financial Goals
• Creates the annual operating plans for three properties that are aligned with the company’s strategic direction
• Provides analytical tools and support to department heads during budget preparation
• Leads the sales and operations team in creating accurate monthly forecasts that allow the team to react to changes in business levels
• Implements and upholds business practices that positively support our obsession with having sales driven culture
Drive Profit - Manage Middle of the Page
• Ensures monthly P&L’s reflect accurate revenues, expenses and cost of sales calculations
• Analyzes daily, monthly variances between actual, forecasted and budgeted performance
• Advises GM and executive team on existing and upcoming financial and operational issues
• Analyzes financial data and operational and market trends to identify opportunities for improvement
• Leads the properties in a developing and maintaining a strong labor culture that maximizes productivity performance
• Facilitates monthly P&L reviews to uncover challenges, opportunities and trends
Protect Owners Assets
• Ensures all condo owners are accurately paid revenue shares by the 10th of each month
• Manages all steps of the owner accounting process with expediency, accuracy and confidentiality
• Manages all three properties’ capital expense budgets and reconciles expenditures monthly
• Ensures strong accounting and operational controls to safeguard assets and maximize profits
• Oversees internal and city audit processes
• Manages the accurate collection, posting and reconciliation of occupancy taxes, sales taxes and transient marketing district (TMD)fees
• Reconciles balance sheet accounts monthly and ensures totals are supported by appropriate documentation
Create a Raving Team
• Supervises and leads the professional development a dynamic finance team
• Provides continuous direction to and education of the operational team in all areas related to finance, financial reports, internal controls, labor management, payroll, month end reconciliation, P&L performance, etc.
• Fosters strong professional relationships with the entire Hard Rock management group by providing direct counsel and feedback that positively impacts the performance of the business and sharpens the financial acumen of the team
• Conducts ongoing coaching and annual reviews to influence positive team development
• Cross trains team members to support successful department operations
Demonstrate Leadership and Strategic Decision Making
• Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement business strategies
• Utilizes effective interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence and drive the performance of others
• Leads by example by demonstrating honesty and integrity in all business and personnel decisions
• Leverages strong financial and operational leadership skills to guide the executive team, influence property focus areas and to lead own department
• Communicates complex financial concepts and expectations in a clear manner that drive results
• Possesses behavioral styles that conveys confidence and commands respect from others
• Maintains peak performance levels under pressure and in a dynamic work environment
• Sets high standards for performance and holds the team accountable for results
• Supports and brings to life the properties’ core values and kick ass service culture
If you’re an experienced, high energy finance professional and a creative, innovative thinker, you just might be the candidate that we’re looking for. The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
• Possess a 4-year Bachelor Degree in Finance/Accounting and a minimum of 5 years of experience in a finance leadership position or a 8+ year history of progressive career growth in hotel finance (or in a similar industry)
• Experience with budgeting, forecasting, profit and loss reporting and balancing ledgers for operating and balance sheet accounts
• Aptitude for performing numerical analysis of data and formulating conclusions and/or solutions
• Ability to use logic to define a problem, collect information, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, interpret information and deal with abstract variables for unique or unfamiliar situations
• Proven leadership and coaching skills with a track record of developing a highly motivated and cross trained group of progressive accounting professionals
• Ability to clearly and concisely present technical subjects
• Must possess strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to conduct effective group meetings and presentations
• Ability to comprehend and use technical or professional language, either written or spoken, to communicate complex ideas
• Superior Computer skills: Microsoft Office, POS/PMS systems, and the ability to create, maintain and analyze data in Excel spreadsheets
• Ability to work a varied schedule, including days, evenings, weekends, holidays, and extended hours, based on business needs