|Modell’s strives to be your neighborhood sporting goods store. A family owned business since 1889, Modell’s is the passionate sports enthusiast’s place to shop. With a long history and vision that speaks to embracing and celebrating your passion for sports, Modell’s is the place to work if you like a fast, fun, and exciting environment.
Modell’s has a set of core values that guides us in our actions and in the decisions we make daily. As a Modell’s Associate, you will be expected to uphold and demonstrate these values at all times. Our three most important values are: Listen, Respect, and Respond.
The in-house counsel is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives to reduce any liability from legal threats. The role will partner with senior management on executing the company’s vision, goals, and strategic growth opportunities by providing effective legal guidance on their implementation and structure. You will ensure that company operates within the law, offer counsel on legal issues, create an effective guardian of the organization and facilitate business strategies development. The in-house counsel will assist with matters related to e-commerce and omni-channel operations, marketing (including contests/sweepstakes, charity events and campaigns, social media influencers, loyalty programs, and pricing and promotions) and consumer protection (including customer complaints, payment types, and return policies). This role will report directly to the Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer.
• Review, revise, draft and/or approve leases, contracts, templates and other legal documentation as the executive team deems necessary and appropriate to protect the company’s interest and meet and support the objectives set out in the organization’s business plan
• Engage and supervise outside counsel where appropriate
• Maintain accurate corporate records
• Ensure organization’s compliance with federal, state and local laws
• Create policies for the organization with respect to Labor and Employment matters, litigation, real estate, general corporate and intellectual property matters
• Educate other associates on areas of the law germane to their Roles
• Provide legal advice and counsel to the Executive Committee and the organization as a whole.
• Knowledge of federal, state and local laws
• Current license to practice law in New York or New Jersey.
• 5+ years of relevant legal work experience is a plus
• Professional work experience is a plus
• Relationship builder and team player who thrives in a highly collaborative environment
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others, including cross-functional teams
• An eagerness to take on new challenges and work outside of defined scope
• Ability to manage a high volume of demands in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
• Problem-solver with outstanding analytical skills and a strong desire to find creative legal solutions
• Passionate and dedicated to success.
• Our benefits package includes Medical, Dental, and 401K, Life Insurance, LTP, a Vision-care plan, discounts on store merchandise and more.
Modell’s Sporting Goods is an Equal Opportunity Employer by both policy and practice and subscribes to federal and state laws which forbid discrimination because of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, alienage or citizenship, or other protected classifications. Employment at Modell’s is at-will, and therefore, can be terminated, with or without cause, at any time, at the option of the Associate or of Modell’s. This at-will employment relationship will remain in effect throughout an Associate’s employment with Modell’s. This at-will employment relationship may not be modified by an oral or implied agreement.
The above information is current at the time of publication and may be amended at the direction of Modell’s Sporting Goods.
We are happy that you are considering an opportunity with Modell’s. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the expectations you have reviewed or the physical requirements of the job. Please sign below to indicate that you have read and understood the information above.